top of page

Exploring The Roaring Meg & South Point


Half Way Hut- The Meg (roaring meg)

9:30 am start


1.5 hours (said 2.5hours)

Explored South Point (of Australian Mainland)



Tree’s Down

Sweet Retreat

The morning light filtered through our tent and woke us a little before 6 am. Nature was alive with sound and the young guys that had blasted Netflix the night before, now snoring in their tent.

We enjoyed a slow morning of breakfast and coffee as we searched our packs for dry clothes. The rain from the day before had soaked through my bag liner and luckily my clothes were wrapped in a plastic bag, averting the reality of no dry clothes. Packing up the tent when a little wet was never really much fun but we had it down to less than 10mins. Soon packs were loaded and headed off just after 7:30 am.

With only 4.6km walk to the Meg, our next night's stop, we planned some extra exploring around the South Point. The forecast wasn’t looking great but anywhere as much rain as the previous day. Leaving halfway hut, we followed the gum lined road up the mountain and crossed into narrow paths that lead along a ridge with the short bushy shrub. Wallabies moved through the bush with little care that we were there. The landscape amazed me as it would change dramatically within metres before transforming once again with a plethora of birdlife.

The moderate graded walk seemed quite easy given our experience the day before and we shaved an hour of the suggested time in arriving at our destination in 90 mins. Signs of the storms were eerily present as we scrambled over fallen gums and branches along the trail. The Meg was a beautiful stream (not a roaring Meg) with a lush rainforest landscape that nestled in the valley. Camps were dotted in and around of the tree line both the upper camp and lower camp where we settled.

We chose a camp spot on the lower level of the Meg campground, by the flowing river and set up. Shan set up a clothesline to dry wet clothes between two trees beside our tent. We packed a day pack with snacks and the camera and sauntered off to explore the South Point section of Wilsons Prom.

We appeared to skip over the undulating track with ease, lighter for not carrying a loaded pack. Moving swiftly through more fallen branches and over the granite boulders that shouldered the path, the roar of the southern ocean beneath the cliffs. Along the trail, a clearing atop a giant boulder offered 180c views across the mountainous range and to the wild ocean dotted with islands.

Coming to the end of the trail, the granite earth that formed the ground beneath us, weathered with time provided a seat where we enjoyed our hot miso soup, nuts, and some chocolate. We sat on the southernmost edge of Australia mainland and watched seals playing in the water below. Grey skies loomed above and we decided to head off back to camp, having not packed wet weather gear.

Picking up the pace, heading uphill, a light rain began to fall making the granite stone slippery as we traversed. I came down hard at one point, jarring my wrist on the rock. I laughed at my clumsiness, picked myself up thankful it wasn’t an ankle injury and raced back to camp to save our washing.

The rain had eased off by the time we got back to camp, the washing hardly any drier than we have left it a few hours before. With little else to do but talk (we didn’t pack out cards), we decided it was early lunchtime and went about preparing food, filtering water before having a nap.

A crow had us amused for some time, stealing people’s belongings, mostly food not secured and hiding in the bushes near our tent as it busily pulled apart its findings. The top section campers had stupidly left their rubbish on a table and the crow had delighted in spreading it everywhere. A menace who only days earlier we had heard from a fellow hiker, the crow had unzipped a backpack left outside and taken a sandwich.

The slow day was uninteresting by the end. I wrote a few notes and we tried to enjoy the stillness of the moment, the nothingness with no expectations. Nothing to do just be. It’s harder than you think but worth a try!

In sync with the daylight, we enjoyed an early dinner before jumping into bed. Snuggled in our sleeping bags, we played a game of choice, sipped our tea laughing at ourselves then fell silent as we drifted off to sleep just after 8 pm.

Tomorrow we would have a downhill stroll past the halfway hut onto Oberon Bay. Another easy day to explore and the beach paradise wouldn’t disappoint.


Roaring Meg – Oberon Bay



Road track & Sandy trail

More wallabies

Bluetongue lizard

Beach walks


Until next week, happy adventures.

Amanda xx


bottom of page